17 ways to make money as a content writer | Bontrasy

Encrypting your link and protect the link from viruses, malware, thief, etc! Made your link safe to visit. Just Wait...

How I made $ 100,000+ by writing part-time...

There are so many ways to make money as a content writer. In my two years of self-employment, I have made over $ 100,000 in part-time work.

The purpose of this post is simple - to show you all the ways in which I made money from writing to inspire you - because most writers only think about paid for writing blog posts and emails.

As you'll see below, those are just some of the goal setting shareware that you can use. In these two years combined, I earned money by writing at least 15 different ways.

With so many changes in the online space, there has never been as much opportunity to earn money as a content writer.
Here's the thing, writing is not easy for most people.

So if you have this ability and can help people get their message out in front of their audience, whatever it is, you can succeed as an independent writer.

Here are 15 ways I can make money as a freelance writer without writing on my blog.

  • Webpages 
  • Blog post 
  • Books 
  • Writing about ghosts
  • EBooks
  • My Ebooks
  • Email marketing 
  • Magnetic lead 
  • Rewrite content 
  • Online course contest
  • Podcast
  • Social media captions
  • Voice recording 
  • Video scripts 
  • Media release 
  • Speech writing 
  • Average 

1. Web pages

Let’s go back to January 2018.

My blog was failing, I already had my life problems for a thousand years, and I quit my six math job last year.

For eight months, I worked as a blogger and had nothing to show for it. But as the calendar turned to 2018, I was looking forward to doing some writing work online. It could be that or going back to companies (which was my nightmare).

I decided to make a pivot to publish on my blog and write to others. Upwork and job boards were my best friend and I always applied for any gig I could.

This led to one of my first golf writing clients. They did a great renovation on the website and needed the following pages to be rewritten:

  • Home page
  • About the page
  • Membership page
  • Work with me page
  • Golf page history

At the time, I was just starting out as a writer and I couldn’t believe someone paid me $ 1,600 to rewrite five golf website pages!

I have done this with several clients and it is easy and straightforward


2. Blog post

I would say that 60% of my $ 100,000 freelance writing has always come from writing blog posts.

Since I was a blogger from 2016 to 2018, this was not so easy for me to learn. Some were written by a ghost, and others by my name.

Let’s face it, most blog posts aren’t interesting or attractive.

But they are a consistent way to make money as an independent content writer.

I was paid to write down almost everything including:
  • Golf
  • Pets
  • A thousand years
  • Motivation
  • Personal finances
  •  Business
  • Self-improvement
If you want a steady income each month as a writer, start by finding blogging clients. These clients are reliable and make it easy to predict your monthly income.

At first, I suggest you pay for your work with each name. If you are a brand new writer, start with .10 cents per word and work your way up.

Lastly, be sure to set up a niche to become an expert and raise your prices!

3. Books

The week I quit 9-5, I published my first book “Advice to My Younger Self”

At the time, I was 29 years old and aspiring to be a chief financial officer for a thousand years. I wanted to help everyone learn which college to teach.

I thought this book would put me on podcasts, talk shows, and provide income for years.

However, that dream was short-lived.

The book made maybe $ 700 (including extra copies that my parents bought to give to them and boasted that their son was an author).

Needless to say, I quickly realized that my first book would make me a millionaire or help millions of people.

However, I said I am not a published author at the age of 29 and skipped something from my bucket list.

4. Writing about ghosts

While my first letter did not advise me, it did give me some information.

After one of my writing clients enjoyed the collaboration, she asked me to write her letter.

While it was being published, I paid for it and it led to my highest monthly income.

The book ended up being 65,000 words and I was paid $ 13,000. Just over $ 700 for my first letter.

So if you want to write a letter and money is your main goal, I suggest that writing for someone else is for him. Unless you have a lot of social media, good luck publishing it.

5. EBooks

At the end of 2018, I found my first Instagram client.

You saw my dynamic content, clicked on a link to my bio, went to my writing website, and accessed DM.

The first project we worked on was eBook's lead magnet. I ended up building several for him and they were between 5,000 and 10,000 words.

6. My eBook

I also tried my hand at publishing myself and bought a study guide.

Although my first book did not make me rich or famous, I loved the idea of ​​making money.

Needless to say, this idea failed. I bet I made a total of $ 100, not enough to pay for the course. Also, it has taken too long.

So if your goal is to publish eBooks through the Kindle store, make sure you make as much money as possible, read about Amazon ads, and find your niche.

7. Email marketing 

Email marketing is not dead (although some online gurus say so).

Yes, email marketing has been a steady decline in the last five to ten years, but it is still the best way to sell anything to your audience.

Email writing is a great way to make a consistent income as an author.

Clients need writers to help tell their story and I have helped create many email campaigns. Some of these include:
  • Increasing sequence
  • Weekly newsletters
  • Introduction to online courses
I’m still a rookie in this category, but I plan to try more by writing and copying via email by 2020. 

8. Magnetic lead

Another way to make money writing is to create a magnet for leading clients (AKA freebies, freemiums, list-builders, opt-ins, etc.)

This is another way I got paid as a writer and the way it was easy too. Since content can be published online, you do not have to worry about SEO, so it speeds up the whole writing process.

These projects are usually nominal fees or individual names, as some of them are short eBooks like long form blog posts.

9. Rewrite content 

As you know, not all content is created equal.

As Google constantly updates its algorithm, it is important to update the content. Some savvy clients will also update previous posts from you or other authors.

For example, one of my golf clients refreshes all its substandard content on one page. To make the necessary updates, you send me a post link within Surfer SEO to make the necessary updates.

The SEO tool shows you what you need to do to get that article well placed. Maybe deleting keywords, including a certain number of words, deleting titles, entering LSI keywords, and more.

By rewriting, we agree on the prepayment fee. This is very easy as you do not need to come up with new content from the beginning.

10. Online course contest 

Online study space is thriving!

According to the study, “the global eLearning market was supposed to make $ 107 billion by 2015. By 2025, however, Research and Markets believes it will reach a total market value of $ 325 billion. ”

With so many entrepreneurs, thoughtful leaders, and motivators building online courses, they need writers who will help turn their knowledge into a subject.

I have written the content of two online courses in a niche for personal development by an entrepreneur. I was given the task of making lesson plans (basically blog posts), video documents, and worksheets.

One of the six modules courses cost $ 3,000 and the other was a 12-module course that cost $ 11,000!

Remember, this is a growing market and I strongly encourage you to pursue as a writer.

11. Podcast

As online learning grows, podcasts are not far behind.

According to Podcast Insights, there are more than 30 million episodes as of January 2020. However, according to the same article, only 51% of people listened to the podcast, which means there is a significant growth rate.

I was hired to create:
  • Introduction
  • Explosion
  • Show notes
  • Podcast texts
  • Social media captions
If you are a new writer, this is a great way to meet podcasters, grow your network, and make money writing.

12. Social media captions

There’s nothing interesting here, just post captions on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn for more customers.

These are usually the fee for each post or item that forms part of the monthly storage package.

13. Voice recording 

While I didn’t do a ton of voice-overs, I was able to write one that eventually spread with 2,000,000 views!

One of my older clients, Fearless Motivation, has moved away from me to write blog posts to video scripts.

But after hearing my voice in my program, “Inspire Your Success” podcast, they even asked me to do some voice work. I sent you an audio file (which took about three times and only took 40 minutes) and it was done.

Payment was only a few hundred dollars, but the disclosure has been good. They have added amazing views to the video and now, two million people have heard it all over the world!

Don't forget, money is not everything
Knowing that my message can reach 2,000,000+ people with my words is invaluable.

14. Video scripts 

Video is the future.

While writing will never end (don’t worry, writers), more and more people are watching video content than ever before.

After one client heard about my work with Fearless Motivation, she hired me to write video recordings and use her voice to make a series of animated videos.

This was one of my favorite designs.

I was paid .20 cents per word and each post was 1,000 words. I made 20 video scripts, so I ended up making about $ 4,000.

Not only was this fun and very rewarding, but it was also good to see some of them go viral!

15. Media release 

When it comes to accepting gigs, I live by this quote:

"If someone gives you a wonderful opportunity and you are not sure if you can, then - learn how to do it later." - Richard Branson

When a client asked me if I could do a press release, I said yes, no problem (although I had no idea what to do)!

While I did a few of them (and I had to research what I was doing) all, they were very simple.

This was based on the value of each word and only contributed a few hundred dollars.

16. Speech writing 

One of the last ways I was paid as a content writer was to write a speech. Like the media release, I didn’t know what I was doing but I just said yes I understood later.

I ended up writing notes to talk about the company’s presentation because I was well aware of my client’s voice and story. Someone else did all the PowerPoint, and I wrote.

17. Average 

The last way I made money was to publish to Medium.

I have tried to publish starting in 2017 (just look at my bad articles) but I have never been consistent until now.

Since 2020, I have started making money through the Medium Partner program, student training, and affiliate marketing.

Medium is something I have signed up for the most in 2020, so I hope I will have more to share in this soon.

Final though 

Hopefully, you can tell that there are many paid ways to write content online.

You may feel like you should write emails or blog posts to customers.

While I think both are good ways to give you revenue, don't be afraid to go out and try new types of content.

Live according to Richard Branson's rating and say yes. If you are a clever writer, I am sure you will find it.

Also, you will never know what you would like to write and how good you are until you shoot it.

Keep an open mind, be good at writing ghost from time to time, and follow styles to do your best in online writing.

What other ways are you paid to write online